I grabbed all four of my kids from playing outside on this beautiful sunny day to teach you the skill we feel is most important in any kitchen: knife skills.
Grab a banana, a carrot, an apple, a potato, and a willing child… And let’s get to work!
Knife Safety for Kids
No time to watch the whole video? Here are the notes!
- 0:46: We start with my 5-year-old using a banana and a butter knife. Gabe is using the “Hey, hey! Out of the way!” hold on the banana.
- 2:03: John (8-years-old) demonstrates “Up and over soldier” and “Top chop!” with a sharp knife. We have a tip for when your cutting board is moving around too much on the counter.
- 3:16: My daughter Leah (age 11) demonstrates how to cut up an apple.
- 4:23: 14-year-old Paul shows us how to dice a potato.
- 4:45: We bought 7 peppers yesterday which won’t keep fresh so we chop them up to freeze. Bonus tip: you can freeze peppers without blanching or any special method.
Find more cooking videos for kids here!
If you had fun with this recipe, check out our online cooking course!
What You Should Do Next:
1. Subscribe to The Healthy Parenting Connector
2. Try a Free Preview of my Cooking Class for Kids
Our members’ favorite lesson is always our 10-minute knife skills and safety class, teaching techniques with unique & memorable phrases from butter knives to chef’s knives (ages 2-teen). Take a peek here and try it out with your kids.
3. Enroll in the Online Cooking Course for Kids:
About Katie Kimball
Katie Kimball, CSME, creator of Kids Cook Real Food and CEO of Kitchen Stewardship, LLC, is passionate about connecting families around healthy food. As a trusted educator and author of 8 real food cookbooks, she’s been featured on media outlets like ABC, NBC and First for Women magazine and contributes periodically on the FOX Network.
Since 2009, busy moms have looked to Katie as a trusted authority and advocate for children’s health, and she often partners with health experts and medical practitioners to stay on the cutting edge. In 2016 she created the Wall Street Journal recommended best online kids cooking course, Kids Cook Real Food, helping thousands of families around the world learn to cook. She is actively masterminding the Kids’ Meal Revolution, with a goal of every child learning to cook.
A mom of 4 kids from Michigan, she is also a Certified Stress Mastery Educator, member of the American Institute of Stress and trained speaker through Bo Eason’s Personal Story Power.